- No caffeine or alcohol allowed. Substitute herbal teas, dandelion root coffee and fresh juices.
- No dairy foods are permitted on the 7-day detox. Milk and cheese increase mucus production and are difficult to digest. Lactose is a common food intolerance. You can replace milk with almond milk, rice milk, oat milk or soya milk. Sheep's and goat's products are easier to digest if you really cannot do without dairy.
- No wheat or gluten-containing grains, such as rye, which have an acid effect on the digestion. This means no bread, pasta or white rice. Choose oats, brown rice, millet and quinoa instead.
- No meat or poultry, because of the antibiotics and food additives they contain. For protein, choose plant sources, organic eggs, tofu or oily fish from organic (non-farmed) sources.
- No processed or ready-made foods whatsoever. Everything should be fresh and cooked without salt, sugar or sweeteners. Use fresh herbs for seasoning.
- Eat three meals and two snacks every day, making sure that you have something to eat every three hours. Most of your food will be vegetables and fruit, whole grains and plant proteins. Within the [What To Eat And Drink] category there are sample menu choices for a 7-day detox.
- Do make sure you get at least 20 minutes of exercise every day.
- Drink 2 litres (3 ½ pints) of water a day and have cups of herbal (non-caffeine-containing) teas whenever you feel like them.
- Dry-brush your skin before a shower or bath at least once a day and, if you can bear it, follow your bathing routine with a cold shower.
I will let you know how I go...