Friday, May 27, 2011

Thinking About Eating Some More

I just had a really interesting conversation on Skype with a friend that got me thinking (shock, horror, she can think!) LOL

We were talking about skin problems and how a lot of problems with the skin can be related directly back to the foods we consume. Without boring you with the details I have seen cases of people in my life where changing their food intake has completely stopped dis-eases of the skin including psoriasis and eczema.

Now, I do not have these issues. Not to any great extent (a little bit of stress related eczema on my feet) and I am not actually thinking about that.

It got me thinking about when I was a kid. My sister had severe (and I mean severe) eczema and behavioural problems. Turned out she was allergic to all artificial colours, flavours and preservatives.  As such, we ate a largely unprocessed, organic diet free from artificial additives. We grew our own veggies, meat back then was not filled with hormones and preservatives, and we did not eat processed food. At least, not at home.

Fast forward 30 years and we have truly become the most over-medicated society there is. Doctors are always pushing drugs on us for anything (I am lucky to have an amazing doctor who is aware of my preference for natural alternatives wherever possible). And 98% of foods now found in the supermarket are highly processed.

I don't want to eat like that any more.

I know eating unprocessed is near on impossible. You can't easily get un-homogenised and pastuerised milks. Even our "natural" sugar and honey is processed.  What I want to do is go back to eating how we did as kids. Removing the artifical flavourings, colourings, and preservatives from my diet. I know me well enough to know that I can not do that 100% of the time.

But perhaps I can do it 80% of the time. Imagine how much better my body will feel of I can get rid 80% of the crap I put into it.

It will be a difficult transformation. But one I really feel I want to try to achieve. Bit by bit.

I am starting with caffeine. I hate the stuff and I am addicted. And I will slowly make other changes. As I eat the foods that are in my house (I will not throw things away) I will try to replace them with foods that do not contain these additives.

This is something I feel quite strongly about.  This is no longer about losing weight or looking a certain way. This is about making my body the healthiest it can be so that it lasts a very long time.

xox

No comments: