Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Xmas Wrap Up

Well, it has been a really good few days. Ross is back at work today, but I have until next Tuesday off, which is great (for me). :)

Xmas Day was spent with family. Often, this can be a trial, but it wasn't too bad. The kids were in a great mood and ran around like little nut-bags. They got water guns for Xmas so everyone got soaked. Considering how hot it was, no-one really minded. :)  The food was great - mostly healthy but lots of it. Ross & I got some new chickpea burgers that made us both a bit gassy. It was a bit uncomfortable (and smelly) but it meant we were still feeling really full and didn't eat dinner. LOL Note to self:- Never buy those chickpea burgers again...

Boxing Day we made our way down to the Bay for lunch with Em.  Em moved to Roxby Downs a few month ago so it was awesome to see her again. Glenelg was one of the only places open in Adelaide so it was insanely busy, but we still had a good time. Lunch was delish, and the company was great. Unfortunately she has already headed home so we have to wait for her next visit to see her again.

That night we headed to Thebarton to the West End Brewery for their annual Xmas Lights. It is always packed in the lead up to Xmas but going on Boxing Day was a good plan as there were a lot less people there. We had a really good night and have decided to make it a Boxing Day tradition.

Yesterday was Ross's last day off. The weather was great so we got out the bikes and headed out for a ride. I can't remember the last time I went riding for fun rather than just to get somewhere. We had no destination and no timeframe in mind. Just us and the bikes.  We ended up down at Seacliff where we stopped for ice cream.  We slowly made our way home along the foreshore.  By the time we got home we had done 27kms. Not a massive ride, but the longest I have done since I hurt my Achilles.

When we got home we celebrated the ride with a couple of drinks...

The Achilles held up really well which us great as it means I can get back into the cycling without having to worry that I am doing damage. I am really pleased about this as I have something to train for (which I will share details of in the new year) so I know I can get started now. :)

The rest of me didn't fare as well. It has been too long since I have gone riding and it hurt.  My butt bones feel swollen today! LOL  I was so exhausted when we got back I feel asleep on the couch. I pulled up okay today though - other than the swollen butt bones that is... LOL

This morning I headed to the Gym. Now that felt weird. It has been forever since I have been in a gym. Since the ride went so well I decided to see how walking up a slight incline went. I have only walked on flat surfaces for months.  I set the speed at a moderate pace and did a couple if stints at 1% incline. Not a lot, but something. My Achilles was fine until towards the end where I felt it starting to pull. Not hurt, I could just feel it. I stretched it out afterwards, and went for a short bike ride. When I got home I took some anti-inflammatories and iced it. Now it feels pretty good. A little tight, but pretty good.

This afternoon I am watching Sex & The City on DVD, and will be doing a little sewing later. Very relaxing. :)

100 Days of Gratitude - Day 43
Today I am grateful that I was sensible enough to follow the Physio's advice and look after my Achilles. The fact that it is clearly healing is incredible, and I am starting to see there is a light at the end of the tunnel.


No comments: