Sunday, May 30, 2010

Tarot


Yesterday I did my Tarot Class at the WEA.  It was a lot of fun.  There is so much to learn (78 cards) however the tutor explained it in a way that made perfect sense.

The Tutor was Elizabeth Wheldrake.  She was really lovely and explained things is a way that was easy to understand.  I was quite surprised at the number of people in the class.  And at the average age.  I expected a lot of young new-agey types, but I would say the average age was around 40-45.  There were even 2 men there which really surprised me!

I have been interested in Tarot for a long time.  Over the years I have collected 4 sets of true Tarot Cards and 6 sets of Oracle Cards.  The problem is I never knew how to read them.  When you have 78 cards with all different meanings it is hugely daunting.  What I didn't know is that you can work out the meaning from the suit (traditionally Cups, Pentacles, Wands and Swords), from the corresponding number, and from the symbols within the picture.  It was really interesting.

At the end we played a Tarot Game which resulted in our giving readings to ourselves and each other.  That was a lot of fun.  And considering we were complete newbies to it, surprisingly accurate.  I am looking forward to playing with my new (5th) set of cards, and then working out which of the 5 sets I now own I would like to continue to work with.  I also hope to do a more advanced class down the track if it is something I find I have an affinity for.

xox

No comments: