Saturday, October 17, 2009

50 Things Project

I was reading the Simple Green Frugal Co-op Blog this morning and the latest post is about The 50 Things Project. The basic idea is that you get rid of 50 things that you no longer need/use/have attachments to.

Since I am being forced to pack up and move, I figure this is the perfect time for me to do this. I have slowly been de-cluttering for a while, but not with any real seriousness. Just random bits here and there.

So this is my chance to do de-clutter properly. The more things I get rid of, the less things I have to store/pack/move.

Off the top of my head, without actually going through things, here is the start of what I will get rid of:

1) Brown cabinet (top of the old TV cabinet) - going into hard rubbish
2) Old clothes that are too big/don't wear anymore - going to Goodwill
3) Old craft magazines that have been stored and not used in over 10 years - bin
4) Dried and half used paints - bin
5) Textas/crayons from when I was at TAFE - going to R's friend who has an intellectually disabled daughter who loves to colour in
6) Left over miscellaneous craft things from Garage sale - bin
7) Kids books - will give to friends who have kids
8) Old posters/wall hangings that have been in storage since I moved to SA - bin
9) White cupboard that is falling apart - Hard rubbish
10) White wardrobe no longer use - back to Mum's
11) Metal computer table - donate to the Lions
12) Unused craft stuff (things I haven't used in over 5 years) - bin
13) Taped videos - bin (I no longer own a video player so no point keeping these)

Okay, so that is not even close to 50 yet. But by moving day (now confirmed as November 14) I will have 50 things on this list.

Anyone else want to join me in this?

1 comment:

Manchester Lass, Now and Then said...

Great idea. I have recently started to de-clutter. My de-cluttering guru is Peter Walsh (Aussie). Must start my list tomorrow.