Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Thinking about Vegetarianism

For the last few months I have been thinking about vegetarians. I rarely eat red meat (it makes me feel sick if I have too much) and have been eating less and less fish and chicken. So it started me thinking.... To be honest I am probably not getting the nutrients I need but just skipping meat as much as I do. With my bowels problems playing up of late (I have all the symptoms of IBS although I have never actually been diagnosed) and now with the vitamin d deficiency, my diet is clearly not meeting my bodies needs. So it is time to give this some thought.

I have discovered that there are 3 types of vegetarians
- those that eat dairy & eggs
- those that eat dairy
- and those that only consume plant based products (vegans)
I know this much, I would fall into the first category.

Ross and I have discussed it and he is happy to give this a go. I thought I would start by introducing vegetarian meals and foods into our diets. Start cooking vegetarian. I am a very picky eater, so I need to be comfortable that I would not be losing out on any essential nutrients by doing this. I have started researching about the foods I will need to incorporate to ensure we don't miss out on anything. This weekend I think I will do some shopping and start making different choices.

I would love any recipes, pointers, tip, thoughts anyone has, so please feel free to add links or recipes to the comments. It is time to take control of my body and treat it with respect, and who knows, this may be the way for me.

xox

No comments: