Monday, October 26, 2009

Difficult Goodbyes and Promises Made

On Thursday last week, my darling Father in Law Bob, passed away. His poor old heart gave up on him. Fifteen years ago he had triple bypass surgery, and all the grafts had clogged till no more blood could get to his heart. There was nothing the doctors could do to help.

The team at the Flinders Medical Centre ICCU were amazing, and kept him comfortable and happy until the end. We were called to go in, but got there about 15 minutes after he had passed.

The funeral is Wednesday.

Tuesday night I made a promise to Bob. I promised him I would start losing weight again. He had been one of my biggest supporters in my weight loss journey. He held my hand on Tuesday night and told me I had to start losing weight again. He said “It’s not worth it”. He knew then, that he was not coming home to us.

This morning I got on the scale, and I lost 1.1 last week. I haven’t had time to exercise really, but the second I made that promise to Bob I started making healthier choices. I am not saying I have been perfect, but I have not caved in to the easy option of fast food during this difficult time. I have made sure that not only I have had healthy meals to eat, but have been cooking for R & his Mum D as well to make sure they eat.

I am now doing this for Bob as well as for myself. He did not want me to go out the same way he did, at only 67 years old. I don’t want that either…

To everyone who has passed on their love and support throughout this period, I thank you. Our strength comes in part from those around us, so please know how very much it means to us.

xox

3 comments:

Lori said...

Kylie, I am so sorry for the loss you and Ross are suffering. :( You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

lots of hugs from me to you and Ross xox

Manchester Lass, Now and Then said...

Oh Kylie I am so sad and sorry to read this about Bob. My deepest sympathy to all of you♥ Linda