Monday, November 9, 2009

Moving Update - 50 Things Project

Well, we are getting closer to the "official" moving day. We move on Saturday. We got the keys to the unit last Friday and have already moved quite a bit over there. We have moved some of the smaller furniture, as well as quite of lot of "stuff". Half the kitchen things are over there, about 2/3 of our clothes are there. Our books, my crafts stuff, games, and just general bits & pieces are over there.

What astounds me though, is how much is left. We have put SO much into storage. We have moved so much. We have thrown away so much. We have given away quite a bit. Yet there is still so much here.

The good news is that Ross has finally realised that his hoarding and collecting ways are not necessarily good, and has helped me get rid of so much. He has voluntarily let go of things I didn't expect him to get rid of without a fight. And he is starting to realise that even all the crap we are putting into storage could possibly be given away as well.

I want to re-balance our money karma. We have been struggling financially for a couple of years. And to do this I think we need to be generous with what we have. Instead of being takers and buyers, we need to be givers. The local Lions who have a weekly "Garage Sale" for charity in a local hall have been called and are hopefully coming by soon to collect quite a bit. The things that are already in storage we will slowly go through. We are going to get a couple of boxes from storage at a time and go through them. Hopefully about 3/4 of what is there will go. Eventually, but it will go.

I have wanted to de-clutter for so long, but when your partner is a hoarder it is quite difficult. This is why I am so excited that Ross is finally agreeing to all this.

Time for an update on the 50 Things Project... (Ross has joined in)

Already on the list:
1) Brown cabinet (old TV cabinet) -hard rubbish
2) Old clothes that are too big/don't wear anymore - Goodwill
3) Old craft magazines that have been stored and not used in over 10 years - bin
4) Dried and half used paints - bin
5) Textas/crayons from when I was at TAFE - going to R's friend who has an intellectually disabled daughter who loves to colour in
6) Left over miscellaneous craft things from Garage sale - bin
7) Kids books - will give to friends who have kids
8) Old posters/wall hangings that have been in storage since I moved to SA - bin
9) White cupboard that is falling apart - Hard rubbish
10) White wardrobe no longer use - back to Mum's
11) Metal computer table - Lions
12) Unused craft stuff (things I haven't used in over 5 years) - bin
13) Taped videos - bin (I no longer own a video player so no point keeping these)

New things to add to the list:
14) Excess sheets/towels - Goodwill
15) Excess coffee mugs, dinner plates - Lions
16) Spare TV cabinet - Lions
17) Spare wooden desk - Lions
18) Futon - Lions
19) Spare wooden drawers - hard rubbish
20) Fabric - Sent to Mums to add to her stash
21) Spare computer monitors and cases - hard rubbish
22) Old Uni assignments (have held on to for nearly 20 years) - bin
23) Books no longer want - Lions
24) Grey carpet mat - Hard rubbish
25) Radio Gramophone - Lions
26) Old tent - hard rubbish
26) Pappasans - hard rubbish or to my MIL's
27) Spare computer chair - Lions
28) Old costumes (mostly falling apart) - bin
29) Bits & pieces I used to use in my previous volunteer work - bin
30) Plastic hall runners - hard rubbish
31) Exercise bike - to be sold
32) 2nd fridge - to be sold
33) Plastic outdoor chairs (broken ones) - hard rubbish
34) Small (stained) outdoor table - hard rubbish

I think there are a few more things, but that is all I can think of right now. Overall, I am really pleased with the progress we are making. We still have a way to go, but we are over halfway there. And that makes me happy.

xox

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My rule is if it has leved in a box for 6 months and I've not needed it - bin it! Or give it away :) Good luck with your move

Tham said...

Lol, i'm a hoarder as well who has recently started trying to de-clutter so i know how this song goes - sort of. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if my husband was the same way. I'd imagine males would be more stubborn than females about letting go of their 'might be needed later' junk.