Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Tasty Tofu

I spent all afternoon at work thinking about getting home to cook. I should probably preface this by stating that until earlier this year, not only did I hate cooking, I really wasn't very good at it. I could do the basics (grill some meat, steam some veggies, boil an egg etc). I could follow a basic recipe. But that is about it. But this year I have been reading, and practicing, and experimenting. And today I actually looked forward to it.

I had a block of tofu in the fridge that I wanted to cook. I have only ever used tofu in stir fry's so this was all new to me. But I decided to give it a shot. I read a lot of blogs and read one a few weeks ago (I have just tried to find the entry and can't I'm sorry) that showed a fairly simple way to cook it which I decided to adapt.

I melted some butter and lightly sauteed some crushed garlic and spring onion. I cooked some mushrooms and two slices of organic tofu in the butter, garlic and spring onions, laid it on a bed of baby spinach, and served it with some steamed broccoli.


The whole thing, from beginning to end, took under 20 minutes to prepare and cook. And it was delicious! I was so apprehensive about the tofu. I didn't cook any for Ross (he had a meat meal tonight) but he was eyeing it off. I let him try some and he declared that 'next time' he is eating with me!

If I can find some more quick and tasty meat-free meals like this, I really can't see myself going back to eating meat. This was quick, easy, tasty, and quite cheap! And I feel good after eating it. What more can I ask.

xox

No comments: