Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Cycle for Life - 8 Week Training Plan

I have noticed recently that my fitness level has dropped dramatically this year. I guess it is understandable. I really haven't been focused at all on my fitness or my cycling. At the beginning of November I got Nicole Cooke's book - Cycle for Life. I have decided that now is the time to make a start on the training programs within.

It actually embarrasses me to admit that I need to start on the beginners one, my fitness has dropped so much. The aim of the first 8 week Training Plan is to get your cycling up to a solid 4 hours a week. I am starting this week, and Tuesday (today) is the first session. I am not including commuting in the 4 hours a week I am working towards. Using my bike as transport is still just that - transport. This is dedicated cycling hours.

Today's session is 35 minutes constant cycling in the "Green Zone". The green zone is with your HR between 60-75% of your max. The hard part is finding places to ride where I can do a constant 35 minutes, as there are traffic lights absolutely everywhere near my home and work. In the 3km commute to work I go through 4 sets of lights, and I use back streets for the last km to avoid more. However between work and home is the park lands. There is a bike path through them and there is a stretch of about 4kms where you do not need to stop and cross roads. I am going to loop that section. Yes, it will be a little boring, but it is the best I can do right now.

The first week consists of 2 x 35 minutes Green Zone sessions and 1 x 45 minute Green Zone session. looks relatively easy on paper, but it has been a long time since I did cycling without breaks for lights. I'll report in at the end of the week. Wish me luck!

xox

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh good for you! I wish i could ride to work but I risk being squished by a truck :) Remember the first week is always the worst and then after that you'll be flying!