Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Cooking Class

Last night Ross & I had our first cooking class.  It is a 4 week class through the loacal WEA called International Gourmet Vegetarian.  The instructor is a lady called Natalie Playford who has this amazing wealth of knowledge of all things vegetarian and all things cooking.  The first class was just a demonstration of various dishes and cooking techniques, with a bucket load of information thrown into the mix.  The food was absolutely devine.  Things I would never in a million years have thought of cooking on my own I was eating and can not wait to try the recipes.

The first thing she made was a Gnocchi Alla Romana.  Now I hate Gnocchi.  To me, potato and pasta should never be combined in any way shape or form.  However this Gnocchi -not a potato in sight.  It was so delicious.  Easy to cook, although a little time consuming, but if I am cooking for friends I am more than happy to spend a day in the kitchen.  I can't wait to make it myself.

Then she made Chai Marsala.  I was a little confused when I saw this on the list - how hard is it to make Chai?  But she made it from scratch, with real fresh spices straight out of their pods.  And Oh - My - God....  I don't think I'll ever be able to have chai from a tea bag again...

Next up, roasted vegetable frittata.  I actually thought this was going to be really heavy because the main veg were potato and sweet potato.  But it ended up really light, although I would imagine quite filling.  Megan, if you are reading this, I'll be trying this on Thursday night.  :o)

Last of all a Pea & Couscous salad.  I'll be honest, I had no intention of trying this.  But now I am planning on taking it for my salad for Saturday nights pot luck dinner with my work mates.  Sensational!

The best thing I think we are going to get from this course is trying different flavour combinations.  Natalie uses a lot of herbs and spices in her cooking, the same as us, so I can't wait to learn more.  Next week we make 3 recipes.  Ross & I are going to make them together since that is how we cook at home.  We are doing sushi, indian spiced beans then we get a choice of a tofu recipe or an antipasto recipe.  Since we cook with tofu all the time we are going to try a couple of the antipasto recipes, including home made hommus.  And next week I will have photos.  I can not wait!

The other thing that came out of this class is that Ross is seriously considering becoming vegetarian as well.  He only eats meat about twice a week as it is, and red meat now leaves him feeling quite lethargic.  I am not going to push, but if he joins me as a vego I think that will be awesome!

xox

PS - We have already signed up for Natalies next class in May which is Gournet Vegetarian.  4 more weeks of more of her amazing recipes.

4 comments:

Em said...

Ooh that class sounds fantastic, Kylie! The homemade chai sounds to die for. I'm glad you're having so much fun in the class, and how great that Ross is considering vegetarianism too!

:) Em xo

Fat for a Triathlete said...

These recipes better be going up on the blog when you make them!!

Linda50 said...

Great stuff - glad you are having fun. Look forward to seeing the photos

Ellen said...

How was the gnocci made if not with potato?
It all sounds delicious; Cous cous pea salad. All my favourite things in one dish! Shame about the salad aspect though ;)